OK well progress has been painfully slow not least because it’s been way way too cold to work in the garage. I do have both wheels built now. Attached are a couple detail shots of the rear hub. It’s a Shimano HB-M475 disc hub, converted with a solid axle and two custom-made spacers into a rear fixed hub for a bolt-on cog. The wheel is completely dishless. It should work very well; however, with track hubs available from Harris for $35 there is absolutely no good reason to do this other than the playing-with-man-toys factor. Which is a fine reason by the way. Pardon the wretched mess in the garage but the overall shot shows that I have: cleaned off the junk parts, installed the seatpost (Kalloy) and seat (my old Rolls), installed the bar (Dimension ergo – not quite what I ordered but I couldn’t be bothered exchanging it), installed the brake lever (Tektro) (there’s a dummy lever coming for the other side but that’s another post (only cos the dummy at the hardware store sold the dummy doing this project the wrong size nut for the fixing bolt)), and finished the wheels. Once the tires are on, the brake is on, and the chain, and the bar wrapped, this will be finished. It seems like it’ll never get done but in reality I am almost there. Stuff I need yet is the chain and brake cable, and, I think, that’s it.
Oh and winter is being a real pain.
Oh and also tri training is going okay, getting some running in, riding on the rollers, hitting the gym, each twice a week in weeks when the plan is followed. Spinervals “On the Road” is really good.
And winter is still a pain.
Top Secret no more …
I can’t seem to get around to taking pix of this thing so I’ll just put up what I have.
Now I will have to do a tri or two next summer. About time I got back into training anyway.
Oh and the rest of the Project Curbside parts are ordered. Thing ended up costing a fair bit, no surprise I guess. Hoping to have it done by the year’s end (should be easy barring the unforeseen).
yesterday. Was easier than I expected actually, I guess trying to fix banged-up wheels is harder than building wheels with good stuff, whodathunkit. I did goof slightly, the valve hole is offset from where it should be, so the pump head will be a bit harder to get in between the spokes than it ought. This was the front wheel for the roadie. Lacing the rear tonight.
No progress on the Peugeot other than getting some parts in.
Big snowfall Monday night/Tuesday morning. Luckily my 18t cog arrived Monday evening just in time. Roads were kinda sketchy yesterday (well mostly fine but the parking lot and the bay were uncleared so I couldn’t stay upright there at all) but today all cleared and riding was good. -18.7 though, I guess it is finally winter for real.
Oh, and new Top Secret project in the works, details soon.
ok so it seems that 46/16 was a tad ambitious. Especially with the heavy-rolling studded ‘cross tyres. Gives me almost 79 gear inches and a pile of resistance. So I ordered up an 18 tooth cog from Ben’s Cycles.
Also, got the bottom bracket rebuilt on Project Curbside. Went real smooth. Headset tomorrow and then I have to order parts (my wallet is quaking as we speak).
This is what a road-going fixed wheel bike should look like.
I will permit no dissent on this subject.
(OK fine so I’m just testing image uploads. Whatever. It’s still the definitive style.)
Oh and I got to work on ye olde Peugeot yesterday. Good progress. Everything came off pretty easy, even the crankarm. More soon.